Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Keep It Simple Stupid ~Kiss

Master Lock BAO0103 Ball Knob Keyed Entry Door Hardware with SilvaBond Antimicrobial Protected Finish, Polished Brass    Why is that the jobs we put off the most always end up having the most simple solutions?????  Tackled my maintenance issues this week and it cost me very little time and money to fix them.  To replace the front door knob cost $7.00 and less than 5 minutes.  To fix the back door cost about $4 and also less than 5 minutes.  I knew that I didn't want to install another metal spring because the kids keep breaking them so instead I put an eye hook into the jam and hooked a mini bungie cord between the frame and door. Now it closes itself as the kids run in and out all day.  I had another problem in that my 4 year old could not open the screen by himself so i wrapped a hair elastic around the locking mechanism ( yes anything can be used as a tool in the hands of a single mom).  So the screen shuts every time but is also easy to open.
Fluke 1AC-A1-II Volt-Alert AC Non-Contact Voltage Tester
    The problem of the electricity was a little trickier...or so at least so it appeared.  After I blogged last,  I immediately found a work around so I could get power to my house phone. It worked for the week but today I was actually able to fix it. I had bought a new circuit breaker  at Home Depot (hint if you think you need a new breaker bring one of the old ones with you, or at least the brand of your circuit box. I did not do this)  I watched every YouTube video on installing a new breaker and even though I was wisely nervous, I was prepared to give it a try. While I was at the store I also picked up a non-contact voltage tester, you know that thing that beeps and light up if a wire is hot. (pictured) Well is was the best $20 I could have spent!  I tested the line going into and out of the broken outlet and found that there was power on line.  I figured from this that the breaker was probably good and so I tried a little harder to reset the outlet ( you know that little button that says reset) I had tried before but it didn't seem to make any difference this time I got it in far enough to reset the outlet and BAM problem solved!!!!!  

    I can't believe that I had thought I might have to call an electrician to fix this problem.  Wonder how much that would have cost me???

    Tomorrow I am going tackle the plumbing and move my washing machine from the kitchen to the basement.  But I am not to worried about it due to PEX ...God's plumbing gift to single mom DIYers....more on that tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment