Saturday, June 12, 2010

Lawnmower 2 - Single Mom 1

To catch you up... I finally got a lawnmower for my birthday (thanks mom!) I took the time read (almost) all the instructions...got it set up...mowed the first row of foot high grass and promptly hit a huge rock and broke it.

No, I didn't just dent it or scratch the blade...The lawnmower was spitting sparks like an angry dragon!

I thought about bringing it back and saying that it came that way.  But didn't. Not because my morals got the best of me... as usual it was impatience that did.

I still don't know if I did the most damage to the shaft or the blade but either way I couldn't bend or hammer or wrench it back into place.   The blade was scraping on the housing pretty bad, so I did the most logical thing and bent the housing out of the way.  I am not sure what purpose that bent edge on the housing has but I hope it is not too important because mine is pretty much straight now. I am a little concerned that it seems to be shaking more then it should... but what should I expect from an off balanced mower??? :)  It got the job done and maybe shook a few extra calories out of me.... hey a girl can dream.

I would call it a victory of brain over brawn but even I can acknowledge that it was a pretty dumb fix... As usual Do Not Try This in Your Home!



The lawnmower put up quite a fight and took its share of blood, sweat and tears from me (literally) It may have gotten me twice but I still won in the end.

Repairing Your Outdoor Power Equipment (Trade)
Handbook of Lawnmower Repair
Repair Maintain and Store Lawnmowers and Garden Equipment
The Complete Handbook Of Lawnmower Repair
Final product: Its not glamorous... but it is neat

1 comment:

  1. what did i tell you about fighting the power tools?

    ReplyDelete